App Focus: Best Apps Oct '15 Edition

Another month, another best apps list...

Primer: Android/iOS - Marketing lessons made easy, courtesy Google. But that's not the reason why I included it here. Just look at that design... *drools*

Paper: iOS only - The best drawing app on iOS comes to iPhone.

Google Keep: Android/iOS - I know I have written about Google's simple note taking app enough number of times, but it's real hard to pass along an opportunity to talk about it. The thing is Google finally made true on its promise to make the app available on iOS, almost 2 years after it debuted on Android. A little late I guess, but I'm happy it's here!

Breaking News: Android/iOS - Months have passed since my favourite news app Circa shut down, and here I am, still searching for an app that will take its place. But NBC's Breaking News comes pretty close, in that it lets you follow developing stories (like Circa) and alert you as they unfold.

Word Vault: iOS only (paid) - Word Vault, from developers Chaotic Good, not only helps you with meanings, pronunciations and translations, but also to review, recall and memorise them at a later date. If you are a word-freak and love learning new words, this is the app for you.

YouTube Gaming: Android/iOS - YouTube Gaming is everything YouTube app is not. It's beautiful, colourful and imbibes Material Design like a sponge absorbing water. Which is a shame because the YouTube app is one red hot mess.

Apple Maps: Duh... iOS only - I can hear you gasp. But hear me out! I have been using my iPhone for close to two weeks now and frankly speaking, I haven't missed Google Maps at all. But that's only because I happen to live in one of the cities for which Apple has rolled out support for public transit directions and routing. And it's implementation, although belated and limited in scope (for now), just rocks. It even goes one step ahead of Google's mapping software by highlighting every single Subway station entrance and exit, a feature that will immensely come in handy when you begin to get a little lost! Alternatives: Google Maps, Waze, Transit, Citymapper, Foursquare

Comments