Movie Review: Room (English)

Emma Donoghue's Room, alongside Cormac McCarthy's post-apocalyptic story The Road, Owen Sheers's I Saw a Man, and Hanya Yanagihara's magnum-opus of a gay novel A Little Life, remain some of my favourite pieces of modern literary fiction. Reading these books not only shook me to the core and made me cry my heart out, they also vicariously lent me a lifetime-worth experience for which I will be forever indebted to the authors. Lenny Abrahamson's adaptation of this 2010 Donoghue novel, a claustrophobic, disturbing (and discomforting) tale of psychological horror about a mother-son duo (a fantastic Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay) held captive in a squalid tiny room by a psychotic abuser, is equally heart-rending and spine-chilling, as Jack, the boy who has only known the room ever since he was born, must confront a whole new world outside it as his mother desperately plans for an escape route. It's a film (or a room) which once you step in never lets you go until you have seen it all and has you transformed inside-out.

Comments