Heavy Rotation: Björk, Courtney Barnett, Empress Of & More

Sunburn Modern, Black Lake, Depreston, BBHMM among other top listens from this week...

Sunburn Modern (Baio) - Chris Baio's Sunburn Modern's beachy hedonistic bliss is super-rhythmic and super-addictive, and quite for all the right reasons, for the blend of bongos and electronic synthy beats is intoxicating and uplifting.

Lionsong, Stonemilker, Black Lake (Björk) - I have been meaning to catch up Björk's Vulnicura for the longest time ever since its release early this year, but for some reason or the other I never managed to give it a proper listen until now. And my god, what emotionally powerful songs!

Depreston (Courtney Barnett) - House hunting can be as depressing and dull as it can get, but Barnett makes the mundane a beautiful sensory experience in Depreston, a portmanteau for 'Depression' and 'Preston', the Australian suburb she goes hunting for a home.

Standard (Empress Of aka Lorely Rodriguez) - Based on Lorely's personal experience in Mexico, Standard is a poignant take on income inequality made all the more palatable, thanks to its haunting beats. Sample the lyrics, "I've been living below the standard/ With a hunger that feeds the fire/ I've been eyeing your plate of diamonds/ With an envy that kills the pride..."

Tropic of Cancer (Panda Bear) - A choir-like song so delicate and serene, Tropic of Cancer is a veritable eargasm. Need I even get into how beautiful the harp is? I guess not!

B**** Better Have My Money (Rihanna) - Rihanna at her most unapologetic, exuding a level of DGAF-ery in a unique badass style only she can pull off. Well RiRi, you can have my money all you want, but just release that damn album. The ANTIcipation is killing me!

Comments